filemaker 10 iwp drop down lists

This topic is 5090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I recently published a database to the web and in the layout there are various fields that are linked to other databases. When a user clicks in the field to edit it, they get a drop down box with options pulled in from another database. I have several drop downs like this. The performance on the filemaker client is very fast, but when I port it to the web it is almost unusable. I have tried to use an auto complete edit field instead, but it only auto completes in the file maker client and not on the web. I can tell from tests that it is significantly faster without these drop down boxes, but some of them are necessary in order to properly link with the various tables without having to look up a lot of information. Is there any way to alleviate this problem with minimal changes to my layout/form, while improving significantly the performance?

Perhaps you could make your selections from portals rather than drop-downs? You might have a series of screens, like a "wizard," so the user selects one thing and then the next, finally returning to the main form.

IWP is great, but sometimes you have to design around its limitations.

Would like more info.

Are you hosting it a professional hosting service or using FileMaker Pro on your own computer?

What are the download AND upload speeds of BOTH internet connections?

Are the slow fields set to index?

Dan McFalls

MacUSA.net

FileMaker Hosting Services

This topic is 5090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.