Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Pro Help charts Exercisse 3

dodds

This topic is 5054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It'z here :)

Home > Designing and creating databases > Creating and managing layouts and reports > Working with charts > Example 3: Charting delimited data

I have entered the two delimited series of five values

Spain, Italy, Japan, Germany,USA

and

15, 6, 23, 10,29

separated by Return character,but it does not work, it's like that the Returns were ignored, each serie is considered like a single character string, a single value

The delimiting character needs to be a return.

I have entered the two delimited series of five values

You have entered them where? You should enter them into a text field, and specify the field's name as the series. If you entered them directly into the chart's calculation, you need to use the ¶ character as the symbol for a return, e.g. "Spain¶Italy¶Japan¶Germany¶USA".

---

I believe this is a follow up to:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/215382/

The delimiting character needs to be a return.

You have entered them where? You should enter them into a text field, and specify the field's name as the series. If you entered them directly into the chart's calculation, you need to use the ¶ character as the symbol for a return, e.g. "Spain¶Italy¶Japan¶Germany¶USA".

---

I believe this is a follow up to:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/215382/

Yes, it's a follow up, but much moe precise.

I entered the value lists into two text fields referenced in the chart definition.

I thought it was a story ike that, is "PILCROW SIGN"the name of this character ¶ ? Unicode 0086

I put it in my favourite special characters, it is the first time I meet it, I have stil to find the associated key combination...

But unfortunately, whatever separator character I inset, ¶ (like in your mail) or ¶, like on this forum, FMP considers always like a single value..

In the exercise, they say to pepare five lines and to use Return.

I am afraid you are missing the point: if you are entering the values into text fields, you need to separate them by a return, NOT the ¶ character. See the attached.

Look at the joined file :) it reference fields, not calculation, and the fields contain Return separated values, like is said by the help exercise 3 and like your ChartDelimited file.

Membership_Totals_fields.fp7.zip

In Chart Setup > Use Data From: select 'Current Record (delimited data)' instead of 'Current Found Set'.

Thanks, it works.

If I use calculation instead of referencing fields, which separators between value items to use ?

This topic is 5054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.