Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server requirements FMSA11

This topic is 5023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are currently running FMServer 9 on an old G5/OS X 10.4 server. It hosts student records for various projects, has a maximum of 2 users and it's been fine. But I need to update. Would FMSA11 run on a lightly used xServer? The server in question only runs a few web sites; some Joomla and Moodle. I know that best practice is for a dedicated server but I am running out of options here. Is anyone else in this position and has found sharing a server acceptable? Thanks for you time - much appreciated.

The current specification for FMSA11 is for INTEL based Mac - does your Xserve qualify?

If so, then with only 2 users I doubt it will be much trouble to the Xserve. FMSA11 is a little bit of over kill for a 2 user requirement though.

If you don't want to invest in new hardware, you may want to consider a professional FileMaker hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

Our services would definitely handle your requirements with no problem at all. Additionally, all of our FileMaker hosting accounts include web, PHP and MySQL hosting, which would accommodate your Joomla and Moodle installs.

Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.

- John

• 4 weeks later...

We run FMS11 on a mac mini server which runs without any problem. We also run another license on a VPS, but only the file service is running since it has only 1Gb of ram.

This topic is 5023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.