FM Developer Capabilities

This topic is 8375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am currently investigating whther to purchase FM Developer or to go some other route. I am mainly interested in its ODBC, JDBC, and possibly XML capabilities to access the database from the web, minimizing direct interface with FM itself and using the self-created interface.

I currently own FM Pro 5.0 and in its documentation it only supports the following SQL commands: SELECT, FROM, WHERE, GROUP BY, HAVING, UNION, ORDER BY, and FOR UPDATE OF. Namely, it does not support JOIN.

Is FM Developer any different? I know Developer comes with Pro 5.0, but has FM extended its functionality through ODBC in the Developer package? Also, the online documentation of JDBC for Developer states: The JDBC driver included with FileMaker Developer 5 supports a subset of the SQL-92 Entry Level standard. Exactly what is this subset? How limited is it?

Thanks.

Colin

RE: minimizing direct interface with FM itself and using the self-created interface.

With Custom Publishing there is no "direct interface". You can use standard HTML tags with CDML tags for displaying database fields. Nothing can be simpler.

That may be true that you can use HTML and the interface that FM uses is simple, but for the job I am doing I have to use ODBC or JDBC. Maybe I misunderstood your explanation, but I would still appreciate an explanation of the SQL statements that can be used with FM Developer through ODBC and those that can be used through JDBC, if there is any difference.

This topic is 8375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.