Accessing FMP with JDBC-ODBC Bridge

This topic is 8309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The project I am working on requires taking records stored in tab-delimmited text files and inserting them into an existing FileMaker Database. To do this I currently am using FileMaker's ODBC driver with Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridge to write a Java program to insert the data. The data consist of 18 fields, all of which are standard text fields. Whenever the SQL insert statement exceeds 393 characters I get the following error:

# An EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.

# Program counter=0x77f64d48

This is NOT a thrown exception, and occurs while trying to close the connection with the database. The insert works fine, but the program crashes. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know if it is the ODBC driver for FM, or the JDBC-ODBC bridge that have some peculiar bug, but I am certain it is nothing on the java programming side. Also, what about the JDBC bridge for FM? Does it exist, where could I get it if it does?

Colin Wright

The problem is with the ODBC driver that came with FMP 5.0 that I am using to interface with the database. The driver that I am using is dated 9.3.99. I installed a trial version of FMP 5.5, which has an ODBC driver with a date of 5.1.01, and using that newer driver fixed the problem. Is there some other means of getting a this newer driver, or will I have to install the trial version on any machine that will host the database? And if this is the only way, is there a way to prevent the trial version uninstall from removing this driver and any other files that might be necessary?

Colin Wright

• 3 weeks later...

I have to use ODBC because FM assumes that when you are importing a tab-delimited file that there is no header row. The data files that I have contain a header row and the fields are not always in the same order. So to prevent the database user from having to manually pair up the correct data with the correct field, I can use ODBC to insert them into the database. This way I can guarantee that so long as the field names don't change, the data will be inserted into the correct fields.

Colin

This topic is 8309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.