Server Maintenance This Week. ×

XML encryption

TJ53

This topic is 5006 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I use exported XML to transfer data from FM to another application that processes it.

The exported XML contains very sensitive data and is easily accessible by the users.

How can I encrypt the exported XML and then decrypt it by the other application? any tips?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I don't think this is possible using Filemaker's native export. You could probably use a plugin to encrypt the data BEFORE exporting it, or bypass Filemaker's export completely by using a plugin or OS-level scripting to create the output document. A lot depends on what the target application is capable of.

Thanks a lot comment. The target application is Flash so I guess Actionscript could be used to decrypt.

I had a quick look at the Troi plugin, but it only encrypts text fields. So I guess I'd have to

1) export the xml

2) import it to a text field

3) export the encrypted text field as an xml file (with the same name as the originally exported xml so it overwrites the file)

5) use Actionscript to decrypt the file

Does this make sense?

The method you describe is not very secure, because the plain-text exported file exists for a short while and could be copied at that time. If that were acceptable, you could simply export as usual and immediately issue an OS-level command to encrypt the resulting file and destroy the original.

This topic is 5006 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.