Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker 11 Slows down when duplicating records

This topic is 4975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi guys, I'm a bit of a FileMaker noobie but I've kinda been given responsibility of a FileMaker Server Advanced 11

and recently, for no reason that I can see, databases started crawling. Especially when duplicating records.

When I first open a database, I can duplicate near instantaneously and everything is very fast. However, after 10 minutes it slows down, so there is a delay of about 2 seconds per duplicate record.

I can recreate this on several machines and it consistently happens.

This only started last week, with no changes in network infrastructure or software.

All client machines have 4GB RAM and wired ethernet. They are on Mac OS X Leopard.

FileMaker Server 11 Advanced is running on Mac OS X Server 10.6.4 on LAN. Running about 120 databases. The RAM is fairly maxed out on the server but it seems to cope fine. I've checked CPU, Network, Disk Access on all affected clients and the server and none suggest any bandwidth throughput issues.

Anyone care to give me some pointers on how to proceed from here?

Much appreciated!

They gave you the job of administrating a Server with 120 databases, and you don't know FileMaker? Unbelievable.

Clients are MacOS 10.5.x (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? What version of FM on the clients? How much RAM on the Server?

Why are you duplicating records anyway? Can you post the script, and show us a screen shot of the layout? Perhaps you have a list view of many unstored calcs?

• Newbies

Thanks for such a fast reply; yes well, I work part-time at a school (which they are using FM for everything). It's all a little over my head. I am a Mac guy but not FileMaker :P

Clients are 10.5.8 Leopard running FileMaker Advanced 11 on the latest update.

Server has 4GB RAM.

I've no idea how to post the script to you guys - I would if I could.

One of the staff members are duplicating student records for class schedules.

Strange thing is that everything is at full speed 2 weeks ago, and even when you open the database, it's ok. It only slows down after 10-20 minutes of use.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot or gather more information would, as always, much appreciated!

One of the staff members are duplicating student records for class schedules.

Boy, that data model sounds wrong! So does the 120 databases on the FMS.

Really, without a copy of the file (clone) or a shot of the script and Relationship graph, we're just guessing.

You can print the script to pdf and attach it here. You can Grab the Relationship Graph. The FMS can run a clone schedule.

All your clients have FM11 Advanced? That too is unusual.

Sorry, can't be of more help. If you check the FM tech specs, perhaps something's not meeting min reqs.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/pro-11-specifications.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

jinny wrote me back channel and stated that they have hired a local FileMaker developer to work on the files. She indicated that the files were going to have to be rewritten.

Lee

Thanks Lee.

Guess the users will just have to get used to slow response because there's no hope of us ever rewriting our system. 200+ layouts and who knows how many scripts to go along with that.

Don't suppose that Jinny indicated exactly what they are rewriting?

Thanks again.

Michael L.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.