Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Moving fields to a new 1:1 table

This topic is 4973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I have a system I built a long time ago... Some things operate slowly because the main table has too many fields, and too many calculations..

I would like to move a lot of the fields over to a new 1:1 related table, but, I'm not sure how to approach the process, especially since scripts might be involved.. and I'm not sure how to most effectively move the data over...

any suggestions??

Hi Steven,

There are many considerations which can cause a solution to slow down. If you have many fields which contain large blocks of data, it helps to move them to another table but, if your system is slowing down, that isn't where I would look first. I would look at your field indexing (many leave it on default 'auto index' and the index begins to build and never decreases and it isn't needed in many instances). I would also consider structure, use of aggregate calcs, calcs which refer to other calcs which refer to other calcs, over-use of auto-enter ...

I believe that many would benefit from having a seasoned Developer view their solution. It is like going to the doctor because you just don't feel well. The doctor would want to look into your eyes, take your BP and several other diagnostic checks. S/he could not perform those actions unless you were physically present; same with diagnosing a solution.

I suggest you post an empty zipped clone of your solution for review. If you don't wish to do that, then I would next contact a few highly respected Developers to see if they would spend even an hour to review your file. Proper structure and understanding the pitfalls of design (that you may have stepped into) is well worth it. We ALL could use another set of eyes but it does take looking at the whole patient for a doctor to properly diagnose. :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestions. Creating a clone I could post would be a bit of work since the solution has quite a few graphics incorporated into it. I actually have been building FileMaker databases for a while and have attended the last few DevCons. I have quite a few calcs and fields in the main table that need to be offloaded to another table with a 1:1 relationship so that they do not need to load and slow down the user experience. My question is, what's the best way to get the job done quickly.

This topic is 4973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.