Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Just Show Some Fields But Not Others

This topic is 4630 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's what I want to be able to do. If I come upon a record that belongs to me ie) I'm the assigned sales rep, I can see all the fields from the Company table. If I come upon a record that is assigned to another rep, I can see the name of the company but not the address info. Is this possible to do in a privilege set? Or is it an all or nothing proposition. You can either see the record or you can't?

I take it back - I will look at some old solutions - I thought that I did that... However, it can be done with conditional formatting - although this would require a bit more work.

I am enclosing a file with a simple demo of this. There are 4 possible logins - all have no password - Admin, Jim Bliss, Keith LaMarre and Guest.

Only the Admin can see everyone (on this layout!). I would probably follow this up with a script that only looks for records you can see - all of this is based on the Account - how you sign on - so it is related to security... I don't really like this but it would work in smaller situations - assuming theres not a lot of layouts that have to have "hidden" data.

I take it back - I will look at some old solutions - I thought that I did that... However, it can be done with conditional formatting - although this would require a bit more work.

I am enclosing a file with a simple demo of this. There are 4 possible logins - all have no password - Admin, Jim Bliss, Keith LaMarre and Guest.

Only the Admin can see everyone (on this layout!). I would probably follow this up with a script that only looks for records you can see - all of this is based on the Account - how you sign on - so it is related to security... I don't really like this but it would work in smaller situations - assuming theres not a lot of layouts that have to have "hidden" data.

Custom_Look.fp7.zip

• 8 months later...

This thread is a little old, but thought that I would add a couple of comments. This is something that I would also like to be able to do. I found this:

http://www.databasepros.com/FMPro?-DB=resources.fp5&-lay=cgi&-format=list.html&-FIND=+&resource_id=DBPros000743

from John Osbourne, that enables you to do exactly what you want neatly. The problem with it is that it is quite a lot of work. I have many layouts with hundreds of fields - but want only one field visible to a particular privelege set. As far as I can see it the method does not work in reverse - that is you can hide every field you want hidden within a portal, but when you want to hide 250 and see 1, a method of doing this that works just on the one and not individually on the 250 would be useful...!

This topic is 4630 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.