Foreign key layout problems when updating table

lowkeyloki

This topic is 4825 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this entry.

I have two tables.

People:

__kp_PersonID

__kf_OrganizationID

Person Name

Person Address

Organizations:

__kp_OrganizationID

OrganizationName

Each Person will have 0 or 1 Organization associated with them.

Each Organization will have 0+ People associated with them.

I want a layout, using the People table that displays:

Person Name

Person Address

OrganizationName being lookup through the People.OrganizationID

I need to be able to display the name looking it up using the ID foreign key but I also want to change the Person.OrgID using the same field.

Person.OrgID -> Org.Organization Name : Layout field display

Drop Down List of all Organization Names (from a dynamic value list): upon editing.

Org.OrganizationName -> Person.OrgID: Upon Commit.

Any help would be useful. Do i need a calculation script for this or maybe some particular relational or layout settings?

You don't need to lookup the oganization's name into a field in People: you can simply place the related OrganizationName field on the layout of People (make it non-enterable). You can use this field to "hide" the __kf_OrganizationID field when it's not active.

Another option is to define the value list to show only the second field, and format the __kf_OrganizationID field as pop-up menu.

• Like 1

You don't need to lookup the oganization's name into a field in People: you can simply place the related OrganizationName field on the layout of People (make it non-enterable). You can use this field to "hide" the __kf_OrganizationID field when it's not active.

Another option is to define the value list to show only the second field, and format the __kf_OrganizationID field as pop-up menu.

The idea is to have one field in the layout which displays the currently associated organization and allow a drop down to select a different organization to associate with. Problem is since my foreign key number is my middle man, I can't seem to have it both ways.

This topic is 4825 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.