Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FTPeek cancelling

This topic is 4838 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody,

I'd like to hear what your experience is when it comes to canceling FTPeek operations, more precisely, letting users cancel the download of a file half-way through. I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this - and FileMaker not being able to multi-task certainly doesn't help.

Ideally I'd want to do this with just normal user abort (escape key).

From what I see, FileMaker either doesn't register the escape key at all while an FTPeek operation is on-going, or possibly registers but only reacts to it but only later. I'm going to do some tests on this, but if anybody has experiences, please let me know.

A specific question would be the DownloadToContainer call - which seems to download the file to a temp location and then move it to a container in a series of operations. How does this series of operations behave in relation to FileMaker? I.e., is FileMaker still busy until the whole operation is over, or can it be that FileMaker can start to do something else when the file has been downloaded to temp but not yet moved to the container?

I'm seeing some pretty bad crashes that may or may not be related to this - I'll get back to this after more testing...

Thanks,

Just to add to this after some more testing... it seems that I have an issue where, on Windows, if I have allow user abort on and escape is pressed when a file is being downloaded, FileMaker crashes and the file gets damaged. If I wrap the calls to FTPeek in user allow abort off/allow user abort on, the user can still cancel most of the time, and there's no crash.

I haven't been able to make this crash on the Mac, not sure why...

Any ideas on improvement - especially on how you can cancel an on-going download - would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 4838 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.