Connecting your website with Filemaker databases

This topic is 4845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a quick question about using filemaker on your website. I have done this before, however I want to change the setup of the deployment. I have an external web host that I want to use. I have done a lot of reading and what to ensure that I am correct with my thinking. To connect our external web server to our filemaker databases (web publishing engine and the actual databases) I need to install Filemaker Server on the web server so that the web server module is installed and that server is made into a worker? Is this correct, or can I simply include the filemaker API on the web server and go? Because I have included the API on the web server and when I go to change my deployment setup, I unfortunately get an error when I type in the server's IP address. I assume I am getting this because the web server module is not installed on that server.

Let me know if I am correct or incorrect and maybe what I can do.

Thanks all. :)

I have a quick question about using filemaker on your website. I have done this before, however I want to change the setup of the deployment. I have an external web host that I want to use. I have done a lot of reading and what to ensure that I am correct with my thinking. To connect our external web server to our filemaker databases (web publishing engine and the actual databases) I need to install Filemaker Server on the web server so that the web server module is installed and that server is made into a worker? Is this correct, or can I simply include the filemaker API on the web server and go? Because I have included the API on the web server and when I go to change my deployment setup, I unfortunately get an error when I type in the server's IP address. I assume I am getting this because the web server module is not installed on that server.

Let me know if I am correct or incorrect and maybe what I can do.

Thanks all. :)

You need to decide how you want to deploy within Filemaker Server/Server Advanced's options. I personally have the ability to have my Filemaker Server have an outside address that allows for me to use the PHP API provided by Filemaker to grab information to display on my website.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/web-publishing.html

To connect our external web server to our filemaker databases (web publishing engine and the actual databases) I need to install Filemaker Server on the web server so that the web server module is installed and that server is made into a worker?

Yes, that's the way to do it. Your hosting provider may not allow you to do this though...

This topic is 4845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.