Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help out a Rookie!

This topic is 4847 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi from the UK, ladies and gents.

I wonder if anyone can point me towards some good advice please.

What I want to do (and I'm a long way from technical, so please excuse any bungled jargon) is to display a filemaker database in a space (frame?) on my website. It must be viewable, but must not be modifiable, by the general public.

The content is a directory of businesses offering a variety of services. I want to host the content on a server in my business, and have the content modifiable by me 24/7, and serve the files to the readers in a seamless manner on the directory part of my website.

Any advice, direction or user guides you can provide is very, very gratefully received.

Best Regards, and Happy New Year,

Mike

Hi from the UK, ladies and gents.

I wonder if anyone can point me towards some good advice please.

What I want to do (and I'm a long way from technical, so please excuse any bungled jargon) is to display a filemaker database in a space (frame?) on my website. It must be viewable, but must not be modifiable, by the general public.

The content is a directory of businesses offering a variety of services. I want to host the content on a server in my business, and have the content modifiable by me 24/7, and serve the files to the readers in a seamless manner on the directory part of my website.

Any advice, direction or user guides you can provide is very, very gratefully received.

Best Regards, and Happy New Year,

Mike

Here is a link describing what Filemaker offers with its Server line.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/web-publishing.html

It must be viewable, but must not be modifiable, by the general public.

The simplest way, I think, would be to export your data and upload it to your site. This would be viewable - but not searchable or sortable, etc., at least not without some fancy trickery on the web site part.

Another option is to use Filemaker to manage a table (or tables) in your online MySQL database. However, if you are not using your Filemaker solution for anything else, there are no advantages here over managing the MySQL DB directly - only complications.

Finally, you could have your solution hosted by a Filemaker hosting service - but it seems like an overkill for your purpose.

This topic is 4847 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.