Importing multi-line address field into address1, address2 etc

This topic is 4804 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I have an old database with the field ADDRESS. And a new one with ADDRESS1, ADDRESS2, ADDRESS3 & ADDRESS 4.

I need to get the records out of old_database and into shiny_new_database

I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is. Would it be to add ADDRESS 1 et al to old_database, then somehow split ADDRESS into the new fields, then import it cleanly into shiny_new_database?

Or is there something clever I can do with the import?

(I'm using FM10.)

Many thanks to anybody who can give me a pointer.

Best regards,

Frosty.

I'd parse the old address into calc fields in the old database and then import the calc'd fields. However, field names such as Address1, 2, etc. raise a red flag. Why not Addr1, Addr2, City, ST, Postal?

What does the data in the old Address look like? Give some examples.

Hello! I am moving data from old_database.fp7 to shiny_new_database.fp7 - however, the street address in old_database is a multi-line field named street_address. shiny_new_database has multi street address fields streetadd1, streetadd2, etc.

So I'd like to make a calc field in old_database that gets the first line of street_address (and then another calc field that gets the second line, etc). I can then import from the calc fields.

Can anybody help me with the calc formula? None of the functions leapt out of the list at me (I guess I was hoping for a GET LINE NUMBER function or something). Thank you in advance for helping a calc noob!

Hello again. Please continue the thread rather than start a new topic, since it's relevant.

Addr1_c = GetValue ( oldaddress; 1) //this grabs the first line of the oldaddress field, given each line is carriage-return delimited.

Addr2_c = GetValue (oldaddress; 2)

This topic is 4804 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.