Server Maintenance This Week. ×

want to autocomplete fields through 2 relationships

shanks

This topic is 4805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have two tables, one of which is ids with names, the other is a table of actions completed by said names. I currently have a relationship defined between these tables by id AND name, and in the actions table, there are a series of lookup fields depending on these relationships. However, I want to be able to enter an id _or_ a name in the actions table and have the relevant lookup fields lookup the information. If i have this relationship defined by both fields (with the AND), neither will look up, but then I can always configure the relationship to do one, but not the other. How do I get what would otherwise be OR functionality through this relationship lookup?

Thanks so much!

I currently have a relationship defined between these tables by id AND name

Can't see why you would want that. The purpose of using ID (only) is to allow the name to be changed without the relationship breaking.

in the actions table, there are a series of lookup fields

Are these necessary? You only need to use lookup for (a) data that may change in the Names table but the "old" value should remain in the Activities table, or (B) data that needs to be modified in the Activities table - without affecting the parent Name record.

I want to be able to enter an id _or_ a name in the actions table

The simplest way would be to use a value list that shows the IDs and the names. Otherwise you would need to use another relationship matching on name and lookup the ID from there.

• 5 weeks later...

This topic is 4805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.