Gather and combine portal data into single field

This topic is 4830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

I have parent file which is related to a child table. The child table has a number of fields but I’m interested in getting the content from the two fields and putting the values into a field which is in the parent table. I thought I could use the list(child::fieldname) function which works, but theres an added twist. The twist is I want to merge duplicate portal entries into one, and that includes the price so for example here:

Portal record says

Item | Price

Red | 20

Blue | 10

Red |20

Red | 20

Green | 40

However I want to store the following in a field within the parent record:

Red 60

Blue 10

Green 40

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks in advance as always

Jalz

There are several ways - it really depends on what's your purpose here. The simplest way is to summarize the child records by item in the child table itself. Summarizing a portal is not trivial, though it got a bit easier in version 11 - see:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/71906-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-3unique-values/

To summarize child records in a calculation field you would need to use a custom function.

There are several ways - it really depends on what's your purpose here. The simplest way is to summarize the child records by item in the child table itself. Summarizing a portal is not trivial, though it got a bit easier in version 11 - see:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/71906-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-3unique-values/

To summarize child records in a calculation field you would need to use a custom function.

Thanks Comment, think I can work with this :)

This topic is 4830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.