Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Determining local versus remote

This topic is 4831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How can you determine if a user is connected to a FMP database on his/her local computer or is connected via a LAN or WAN?

The reason I ask is because I want to develop an Install On Timer script for a backup script (Save Copy As...) Since this script step is only valid on the computer hosting the database, I need this On Timer script to only run on the computer hosting the database. Make sense?

I know this step is not valid when using FMP Server and I have a way of knowing if that is the case or not.

I'm sure there is a simple Get function but I seem to be brain dead when looking for it.

Thanks,

Will

I see that I could store the NIC address for the host and compare the client's NIC to that. I'll go forward with that approach, but would be interested if there is not another method in which I don't have to store the host's NIC.

- W

If using FMP 9 and later then use the Get( HostApplicationVersion ) function. From the function ref:

Displays a value when used with the same or higher version of FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server software. If the current database is not shared or hosted, this function returns an empty string. Also returns an empty string when used from the host computer itself.

However your plans for automated backup haven't taken into account that the Save a Copy As command does not work if the file is opened with more than one user.

My advice is to get FM Server. It does backups of hosted databases and much more. It's also faster and more robust than peer-to-peer sharing.

This topic is 4831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.