Display records in a portal regardless of relationship

devices99

This topic is 4823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On one layout set to display a master record/table, I want to show all the records from a secondary/child table in a portal. (If it matters, the child table is also related to the master in a direct ID to ID relationship too.)

The best option I've come up with so far is having a global field = 1 in the child table and the master having a stored calc or actual numeric field for each record always set = 1, then relating the two tables on these fields which then shows every record. Obviously they can't both be global fields or the relationship doesn't work.

Is this the best method, or is there a simpler one?

SOLVED just as I posted!

My Solution: I've just found the "x" relational operator to relate a table regardless of match fields - so I can just relate a separate table occurrence of the child table to the master via any field (I've chosen the IDs), and show all records, without the global/calc above - solved (unless there is an even better way...)

The best option I've come up with so far is having a global field = 1 in the child table and the master having a stored calc or actual numeric field for each record always set = 1

I believe the global field needs to be in the parent table. In any case, there is a simpler method - use the x relational operator:

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/relational.11.8.html#1028014

This topic is 4823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.