Using Portal to show last ten records

cos

This topic is 4783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What I have is an Invoice database. I want to place a small list (portal) on an always visible and open tab that will list the last 10 or 20 invoices ID's and Names for quick access. Is this possible? Tried self join and just can't get them to show up. Appreciate any help.

The table is "Sales Orders". The Layout is "Sales Orders Form".

Fields in the table to show in the list (portals?)

Order ID #

Creation Date

Customer Name

What I have now is a self-join table of "Sales Orders" titled "Sales Orders for Portal"

The key field is Order ID#

What I get to show in the portal is only the first record and the Order ID# does not show. All other rows of the 10 rows are blank.

It's been hard to find info for this type of self-join online. Perhaps this is the wrong method?

Thanks for your help.

I think that you need to be "above" your Sales Orders/Invoices table (it would be helpful to stick with one term). Therefore, I suggest a new table, SYS, that has only one record and fields such as globals and prefs.

Base a Main Menu layout on this table. Then, create a cartesian relationship from SYS to Sales Orders. Place a portal of Sales Orders on the Main Menu. You can show only the last 10 if you sort the relationship ID desc and only have 10 rows in the portal. Use gtrr button to nav to the Sales Order form.

All that said, I still question what the goal is. Why not a list view of Invoices with a Find feature (All Open, Last 10 days, etc.)?

Thank you both for the help.

comment - thanks for this. It is exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly so far.

bcooney - Having the recents on the Main Menu is a very good idea. We already have a main menu so will work on that also. The reasoning for having the list on the Sales Order Form is because users handle many orders by phone, in person and also processes them. The list makes it one click to get quickly from one to the other.

This topic is 4783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.