Newbie needs help

This topic is 4788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hoping someone can help me as I am a rank beginner and what I'm trying to do is rather complicated (or so it seems).

I have a table which has a field called Visit and it's populated with the following: Month X - Day 1 (Day 2, Day 3, etc.)

In another table I have a field called Month which shows the actual numeric value for each month: 1 for January, 2 for February, etc.

What I need to do is to create a relationship between the two tables on the above fields and then I need to take the numeric value in "month" and insert it into the field called "Visit" to replace the X (which was used as a placeholder in another database.)

I think I got the relationship set up correctly but nothing happens in my table so am not sure. As for the next step(s), I am completely lost as to what function to even use. I have searched for multiple things on the internet but have only found bits and pieces and no way to put it all together.

I am using Filmaker Pro 11 on a Mac. I would really appreciate anyone's help on this!

Thank you!!!!

Can you give an example of what an entry in Visit actually looks like? Is it a month name?

I don't see why you'd need a relationship to replace month names with numbers. A calc like this would do it:

Substitute( Visit ; [ "Jan" ; 1 ] ;[ "Feb" ; 2 ] ;[ "Mar" ; 3 ] ) // ... etc

Can you give an example of what an entry in Visit actually looks like? Is it a month name?

I don't see why you'd need a relationship to replace month names with numbers. A calc like this would do it:

Substitute( Visit ; [ "Jan" ; 1 ] ;[ "Feb" ; 2 ] ;[ "Mar" ; 3 ] ) // ... etc

The Visit field looks like this:

Visit

Month X - Day 1

Month X - Day 8

Month X - Day 10

Month X - Day 1

Month X - Day 1

Each visit is linked by ID number and date. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

It literally says "Month X"? So how do we know which month to replace it with?

If there is a "date of visit" field, you can get the month of it like so:

Month( your date field )

And so:

Substitute( Visit ; "X" ; Month( your date field ) )

It literally says "Month X"? So how do we know which month to replace it with?

Yes, it literally says Month "X" - something to do with the way the old database is set up - very, very poorly! I am coming in on the end of this and trying to clean it up. You have to id which month is actually "X" based on matching the additional field which contains a date - if the date matches and the ID matches then X needs to change to a numeric value.

Sorry I didn't make that clear in the beginning.

Thanks again!

This topic is 4788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.