Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker to mysql replication

This topic is 4785 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello guys,

We have a pre-existing internal FileMaker database that is used to keep up with grant obligations and status.  We also have a WIMP server hosting our webs.  We have been manually updating our shipping log, which is a lot of redundant work, so I am automating it via php scripts.  My issue is that I need the pre-existing data in the empty MySql db.  I havent had any luck exporting from FileMaker, and I've tried to populate it through adding the required fields and  a relationship on the key.  Still no luck..  I have googled this topic so long that their logo is etched in my corneas. What is the best route to accomplish this?  I need for the MySql table to automatically be updated when the Filemaker table is altered.  Is this possible??

Thanks for the help.

Toby

• Newbies

Have you explored adding the MySQL table as an ESS? You could either have a redundant FM table, or simply ref the MySQL table. See FMI ESS Info

Yes, That has been done. I have a successful ODBC connection and, in the original, FileMaker DB, have added the external data source. There are no fields in the MySql dababase because I wanted to replicate the existing data in the FMDB. This is where i'm stumpped. I was intending on an export and import but cant figure out how to do it from table to table, only file to file. Im sure there is a way, I just haven't ran across the need to do it yet! I thought about going a round-about way by creating a new FMDB with the MySQL data source and then do a file to file export but that would require a cumbersome script to keep data updated and I know there has to be a more appropriate method. Neither the FMDB or the MySql db will be modified from the web nor will the FMDB be modified by the MySql db. Just need to replicate some of the data over to the MySql db.

Thanks for the quick response and help!

Toby

• Newbies

OK if I get this right, you want to export data from filemaker to mysql. You have the MySQL ESS'd in FileMaker. When you ESS'd the MySQL table, it should have created a layout for that table. If you just want the data from FM to import to mySQL all you do is go to the MYSQL layout and do import records > FM Table -- Mysql Table and pair the fields up. You can also do this with the import records script step.

You can't edit data in FM and have it automatically replicated in MySQL w/o script triggers on the fields/Layout to commit then import, unless you use the ESS table as your data entry table rather than the FM Table.

This topic is 4785 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.