100% text not 100% (Post dissapeared)

Spencer

This topic is 8404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Picture-3.gif

I have updated my picture with 200% view see above.

To Bob Weaver:

1) is off

2) problem is the same with truetype or postscript fonts , the example uses Arial

To Byteworks:

Under windows I used an Apple LaserWriter 12/600

Under Apple I used an Apple LaserWriter 16/600

But it is not a printer problem, it is a Filemaker problem!!

If you reduce or enlarge your screen in Filemaker you will see thjat the endings of the sentences are different.

I also used different fonts both truetype and postscript type 1(under windows just truetype) and they all behave strange.

The problem is the 100% is not wysiwyg and have to align my last sentence with a price in a field at the right.

[This message has been edited by Spencer (edited January 31, 2001).]

I can only say this. That I would suspect your operating system is creating the problem. I have used FileMaker since version 1.0 and it's graphic engine as far as type and sizes and alignment have been very exact.

I have used FileMaker to reconstruct State forums to specifications that are very strict. The forms have always met muster.

Have you tried your template on another platform or other computers? Using different fonts?

It's not the operating system,

Used Apple and windows.

It's not the font,

Used truetype Arial, Helvetica (atm does not render these)

Used Type 1 Helvetica and others

When you reduce or enlarge yoyr screen, you will see that the endings of the sentences are different.

Perhaps you have a corrupted layout,

try to create a new database from scratch and see if you can duplicate the bug. Sometimes you get these layouts from hell and they make no sense.

Made a new layout on windows filemaker and put the text in there, same problem.

I can't believe I am the only one with this problem because I have tried it both under Apple and Windows.

Would someone check my filemakerfile?

I made a test file with one record.

I run into the same problem years ago.

Don't remember how I solve the thing. I believe change the printers !!

They still somewhere in the cellar.

But if you like, send me the file, I setup again the printers (have both Apple and Win)

and will try to reproduce your problem (or mine)

(Laat maar komen, zien wat we kunnen doen)

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We have documented this problem extensively. It's not a corrupted layout, printer driver problem, ATM or anything like that. This phenomena will occur regardless of printer drivers, OS, ATM, font type... etc.

Simply put, Filemaker Pro was not designed with a high degree of type accuracy in mind. Text will flow differently if the layout is repaginated (redrawn) at different zoom levels because strict object-level positioning (Quark, Pagemaker...) is simply not present in this software.

I haven't found any 'solution' to this, other than to build my installers to install the fonts which I used in design of my solution, so users of the solution are looking at a relatively consistent display of the data.

Maybe if you elaborate on the reason that this is a problem, we can suggest a workaround.

quote:

Originally posted by aeleth:

We have documented this problem extensively. It's not a corrupted layout, printer driver problem, ATM or anything like that. This phenomena will occur regardless of printer drivers, OS, ATM, font type... etc.

Simply put, Filemaker Pro was not designed with a high degree of type accuracy in mind. Text will flow differently if the layout is repaginated (redrawn) at different zoom levels because strict object-level positioning (Quark, Pagemaker...) is simply not present in this software.

I haven't found any 'solution' to this, other than to build my installers to install the fonts which I used in design of my solution, so users of the solution are looking at a relatively consistent display of the data.

Maybe if you elaborate on the reason that this is a problem, we can suggest a workaround.

I have to concur with OceanWest on this topic in that I have found (after many years of working with Filemaker versions since 2.x and lots of reports in both Win and Mac OSs as well as the web) that Filemaker is a pretty accurate layout engine.

Now obviously it is a DATABASE and not a page layout application, so it will never match things like Quark in that regard.

One thing to remember is that when designing solutions in which you do NOT include your exact fonts (both screen and printer), is that it is totally up to the OS and the printer to handle conversions. The application has nothing to do with it.

Also remember that regardless of the font used, or the screen resolution or the zoom level, a monitor is only about 72 dpi, where as your printout is typically at 300 dpi. I believe that this is roughly 16 times the resolution on the printout as is seen on the screen. This can have a big impact if screen and printer fonts are different.

Honestly I find that most problems are due to the following: text boxes are too small, give a little extra space and this will work better; differences between printer and screen fonts, get a good set of fonts and include them with your solution or stick to system fonts; design seperate layouts for different printer and OS types, I find that all Laser printers are pretty consistant but that InkJets seem to be very widely different in printing, so much so that I have almost always had to design specifically for each on.

Generally Filemaker is pretty good in this regard and usually a good developer can easily overcome any of its limitations.

This topic is 8404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.