Server Maintenance This Week. ×

monthly attendance tracking

This topic is 4759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

mods if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move.

working on a monthly attendance tracking solution and i was thingking the easiet way might be to make 31 feilds for everyday of the month and just enetering a 0 or 1 to mark attaendace.

this would need a related database so it can sum up all the days attended in a total. plus it would have to do a sum for all the students for every classroom for a total for each class room.

i already have 1 database for the necessary student info. plan on making a portal so i can track each students monthly attendance totals in a generated report. plus also have a global attendance report for all classrooms.

my question is would this be a simple streamlined way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I think you'll be happier if you create an attendance table where you create a record for each student for each day. The table would need only the unique student ID and the date, and perhaps the classroom ID.

This will give you much more flexibility in reporting.

i was thinking to creat just one record for the month for each student. ill probably have 1 person entering information for each room and im trying to keep it as easy as possible. the only report i need is a total for each student and a total for each classroom so not much more flexability is needed.

Even in terms of data entry I think an attendance table could be the simpler solution. You call up your list of students, and for each one that says "here," you click a button to run a script that creates an attendance record. At the end of the month or whenever, you just add 'em up. You wouldn't have to worry about creating the "monthly" records.

For example, you do a search in the attendance table for a given class and/or month. The found count is your total attendance. No other calculations needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Even in terms of data entry I think an attendance table could be the simpler solution. You call up your list of students, and for each one that says "here," you click a button to run a script that creates an attendance record. At the end of the month or whenever, you just add 'em up. You wouldn't have to worry about creating the "monthly" records.

For example, you do a search in the attendance table for a given class and/or month. The found count is your total attendance. No other calculations needed.

Is there an example somewhere to look at? I have a need for an attendance db, but have not found anything that I can dissect to learn from.

Thanks,

This topic is 4759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.