What do I need to make it work

This topic is 4764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am new in writing a WEB application.

I am currently writing a VERY simple web application which require to read and write information to a filemaker Pro database. The database is located on a MacMini Server, I do have five to six client remotely connected to the database.

I could have between 5 to 15 external users trying to access the database simultaneously through the web application. People will be registering to the DBMS and make order ?

My web pages are written in XHTML and I am intending to use PHP to :

1. validate user entry information;
  2. query/ gather information from the Filemaker Pro database and;
  3. write information onto the FileMaker Pro database.

I do have a few questions.

• Is PHP the right choice ?
  • Can I use a FileMaker Pro database or I need a FileMaker Pro Server ?
  • Is there a book you would recommend for me to get which would guide me in how to achieve what I want to accomplish?

Best regards!

Daniel

Is PHP the right choice ?

Only you can determine if PHP is the right choice for you; but yes, what you are trying to do can be done in PHP. I recently integrated a FileMaker database with a website using FileMakers PHP API, CodeIgniter php framework with TankAuth authentication library.

Can I use a FileMaker Pro database or I need a FileMaker Pro Server ?

You will need FileMaker Server to use the PHP API (not Server Advanced).

Is there a book you would recommend for me to get which would guide me in how to achieve what I want to accomplish?

I can't recommend any book in particular; I used free online resources to learn the same process you are wanting to learn. (lots of Google searches, and referring to php.net)

Is PHP the right choice ?

Yes... This is the language that FileMaker "Officially Supports" with their PHP API.

Is there a book you would recommend for me to get which would guide me in how to achieve what i want to accomplish?

Well there's obviously a few peices to the puzzle here...

HTML - Google / W3

Javascript - Find a library to help you e.g. jQuery and read up on the documentation about that.

PHP - Google / php.net

PHP API - http://www.fmwebschool.com/filemaker_php_api.php might be a good starting point. There are few other resources available if you're new to PHP and the API.

This topic is 4764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.