Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scripting CTRL Command

This topic is 4768 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hopefully this can be done though I have spent a lot of time and have not been able to figure it out or find anything online to make this work. Here is the situation...

I have a phone system in my office that allows me to select a phone number in any application (e.g. Internet Explorer, Outlook , Word, FileMaker, etc.) and press a keystroke to dial that number automatically. For this to work there is a small application that I install on my PC that allows me to set the keystroke I want to use to dial a number. Currently, I have it set to CTRL+D. So I highlight a phone number in any program, press CTRL+D and my phone on my desk dials the highlighted phone number. I can do this in FM with no problem. What I would like to do is put a button next to each of the phone number fields in my database and click on that button and have it dial a number. What I need to do is build a script that will send CTRL+D (or some other keystroke combination). Is this possible? I cannot seem to find a way to do this.

Hello,

This is more complicated than just responding with CTRL+D from the scripted button. You have to communicate with the Phone System application's event handling process. So your next approach would be to look at plug-ins that integrate with the operating system either as an event handler or with the COM components (pre .NET) available in Windows. You can experiment with this using the Plug-In template from 24Usoftware or ScriptMaster from 360works.

The theory here is to send your ASCII string "CTRL+D" with the Phone Number to the plug-in and let it do what it needs to do to send the event to the Phone System software. This may be less painful if the Phone System software has an API used to integrate with other applications.

Good Luck.

- Charlie M.

FMBiz.net

This topic is 4768 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.