Three Level Conditional Value List

This topic is 4760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout that has three levels of conditions. The first level is "related to", the second level is "job number" (which is conditional based on selection of the first), and the third is "hull" (which is conditional based on the second). The first and second work great, however, the third only works halfway. This is basically setup as a filter. There are four options in the first level: related to - "vessel", "overhead", "warranty", "facility". Once one of those items is selected, the second level "job number" is filtered into those four categories for selection. Once the second is selected, I need to third level to be a constant and not a selection. There is a value assigned to each item in the third level, but as of now it is showing all of the values from where the first selection is applied instead of filtering down to the last step. Right now I have two value lists created for the first two selections, so does there need to be a third value list for the final step or does it need to be accomplished with a calculation? A calculation would seem to be very long and possibly not to flexible to accept new data, however, that's also why I'm asking because I'm not sure which would be best. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize if things were cluttered in my description. Attached is an example (which is a cut back version of the project that I'm working on).

From the layout "GS Requisition" you will see a form with many fields but the ones I am trying to get to work correctly are as follows:

1)Related To (allows selection from table)

2)ActiveJobNumber (allows a filtered selection from table)

3)Hull (should set based on selection of items 1 & 2 above)

"Hull" is a portion of "ActiveJobNumber" that has been determined by a calculation in a seperate field.

Three Level Example.zip

Thanks for the help! I will analyze what you have sent. As for the rethinking, I am doing most of this on the fly without much Filemaker experience at all, so I covet any professional help that I can get, however, there isn't much of that around where I am at. If you have suggestions, I am completely open to them. Thanks again for all of your help and if you don't have a project laying around...please, be my guest.

I am not able to access the value lists through the pop up list. This may be because I am using FMP7? So, I can't tell completely how you were able to get "hull" to work properly. I can however see the relationship that you created in the graph.

As it always goes...just after posting I figured it out. Thanks again!

I am doing most of this on the fly without much Filemaker experience

Well, that's certainly a disadvantage, but I get the feeling you are also doing it on the fly without a plan - and that's much worse...

I covet any professional help that I can get, however, there isn't much of that around where I am at.

I believe you do know more than enough in order to be able to work with off-site help.

This topic is 4760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.