Some fields will not allow user input

This topic is 4759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a fairly new to FileMaker Pro 11. I used FileMaker many years ago when it was a flat file database and had no problems with it. Maybe the issues I am having are due to the relational DB, but I don't thinks so. I find that some fields I create in new tables do not allow any input. In the layout mode the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the field box is yellow rather than green. I have spent a lot of time with this and can not find the problem. Could someone give me some pointers on this please?

Thanks,

• Newbies

This is to edit my previous post. I am a fairly new to FileMaker Pro 11. I used FileMaker many years ago when it was a flat file database and had no problems with it. Maybe the issues I am having are due to the relational DB, but I don't thinks so. I am creating an = relationship between two tables. I am trying to create a field in a layout of the first table using a field and records from the second table. I use the inspector to designate "display data from" with a control style of "drop down data". However, when I do this, the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the field box turns yellow from green (which is fine), however, when I go back to browse mode from layout mode, I do not see any data in the field from the second table. I have spent a lot of time with this and can not find the problem. Could someone give me some pointers on this please?

Thanks,

• Newbies

This is another edit my previous post. I am a fairly new to FileMaker Pro 11. I used FileMaker many years ago when it was a flat file database and had no problems with it. Maybe the issues I am having are due to the relational DB, but I don't thinks so. I am creating an = relationship between two tables. I am trying to create a field in a layout of the first table using a field and records from the second table. I use the inspector to designate "display data from" with a control style of "drop down data". However, when I do this, the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the field box turns yellow from green (which is fine), however, when I go back to browse mode from layout mode, I do not see any data in the field from the second table. I have spent a lot of time with this and can not find the problem. Could someone give me some pointers on this please? (When I am in the browse mode and use the tab key to cycle through all the fields on the layout, the cursor skips the field I am having difficulty with.)

Thanks,

You cannot enter data into a field from a related table unless [a] a related record exists, or the relationship is defined to allow creating related records.

---

P.S. If you want to edit your post, you can do so. Repeating the same text with some minor modifications is not making it easy for the readers.

Edited by comment

This topic is 4759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.