Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Finding records multi-field search

This topic is 4761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, my company currently uses FMP database for job scheduling, and employee record management. Our previous staff member that maintained and developed a lot of what the database is today is no longer with our company and now I have been left with maintaining the database which I have very little knowledge about.

Very briefly we are a service company that sends multiple crews out on any given day. Within a crew there are a maximum of 8 persons.

The job card that we print out and give to the team leader is a form that is printed from the FMP database. This form advises all information including, Customer, start time, finish time, additional non standard items to take

I Have a table within one record that has 8 lines (one for each crew member - so crew 1 to crew 8) and for each crew member it has Start Time, Finish Time (as they may differ), whether lunch was taken, if they were the team leader, what unit number they are driving (maximum of 3 units/vehicles per any one crew) and whether they are the driver. All this information is verified on site by the client who will sign off on the form. When the form comes back to the office for processing the data regarding start times per person etc is entered into the FMP database with the view to create automatic timesheets.

What I am trying to do is prepare an automatic timesheet in another layout that reads off this form. The issue I have is with this new layout I want to be able to search a date range and employee name and for this layout to show each record for this employee only. Currently the only way i am able to do something anywhere close to is by showing all 8 crew fields which is no good and defeats the purpose of what i am trying to achieve which is having a single timesheet for the employee for a specific date range (usually a weekending date range).

QUESTION: Is it possible to perform a find function and that it searches multiple fields in one record however only displays the field that you have searched for?

And if this is possible how can this be done

I Have a table within one record that has 8 lines (one for each crew member - so crew 1 to crew 8)

You have a structural issue - and your current problem is merely a symptom. Instead of 8 sets of fields in the Jobs table, you should have 8 (or any number of) related records in another table.

This topic is 4761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.