dedicated FM Server ?

This topic is 8449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I work at a K-12 school district and I have setup a simple FMPro database to keep track of repair requests for our department. I am using the web companion to enable the other schools to add records ( work orders ) and search the database. The down side is that I have it running on my PC that I do most of my other work on and I have to keep it running all the time.

Is there a dedicated FMPro server product that has web access ? I can't imagine that the web companion can really handle that much load. The reason I'm concerned is that the general maintenance department is looking into a web accessable solution for their work request DB as well. they have a lot more volumn than I do. What if I need more than one db running ? ( theirs and mine plus any related DBs )

JohnW

Filemaker pro is single threaded meaning that it can handle one request at a time. Depending on you speed of your computer server software and processor cycle sharing between the open apps you could have probs (especially if you're using the computer as a desktop machine).

The best thing to do is setup a RAIC (redundant array of inexpensive?! computers) by this I mean you would have a web/lan server (multithread) handling the requests which in turn passes the request to the middleware (Web Connector, Lasso FM remote) which then passes the request to, (via webcompanion) / or queries directly, the FMPro database which is open on any number of machines running FMPro Unlimited (single thread) which in turn pass the data to the databases hosted on a machine running FMPro Server (multi thread).

So as you can see you get around the single threaded middle bit (FMPro Unlimited) by having lots of them (well more than 1 anyway) and you get around the processor sharing by splitting the apps between the computers so they have the processor almost to themselves.

I don't know where the inexpensive bit comes from in RAIC cos it cost me loads!!! but it was worth it

This topic is 8449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.