Server Maintenance This Week. ×

External MySQL-database connected through ODBC suddenly turned into native Filemaker file

This topic is 4755 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have made a solution to update a MySQL-database (Zen-Cart) directly with FIlemaker's ODBC-connection.

I have made the connection to more than 20 external tables, and have in addition made some local Filemaker ones.

This has worked perfectly since I made the solution last week, and everything I updated, would be immediately updated on the internet as well.

But somehow, the Products-table (thus one of the main ones, with several fields) has turned into a native Filemaker table. Thus when I make changes to it, this will not directly update the external MySQL-database.

Does anyone know how this might have happened?

Is there any way to change it back?

I am afraid that making a new connection (and thus creating a new table-instance) will mean that I have to redo all the layouts, and I really do want to be able to work directly with the database.

I use FileMaker pro 11 Advanced, on Windows XP.

The last two days I have done the following actions:

- made new FM-tables related to the external tables.

- added fields - I might have made a mistake and tried to add them to the Products-table

- installed some plugins

- made a copy of the whole database

You're misinterpreting what you see. MySQL tables cannot become FM tables.

One thing to pay attention to is that in FM you have Tables (as seen in Define Database Tables list) and Table Occurrences (as seen in the Relationship Graph).

I would guess that you have a FM Products table and a MySQL Products table and table occurrences for both. You need either a FM Products table or a MySQL Products table (but not one of each).

You can add fields to both FM tables and MySQL tables. You can only add unstored calc fields to the MySQL tables from within FM.

Screen shots would help.

I still don't know what happened, but my husband actually worked on the DB as well, so he might very well have accidentally done something to it.

(He has never worked with FM before, but he does the sql-part)

I still wonder if there would have been an easy way to change the table in all relationships, scripts and calculations, but anyway, to fix the problem, I did the following:

1. Added the related products sql-table.

2. Viewed the fields of both tables (FM-native products table and sql products table) by field name

3. Changed the fields on all the layouts. The main products layout was easy to update (it contains fields from many different tables), as all the fm-products fields were marked in green.

4. Changed the layout setup to show records from the sql-table AFTER I had changed all the fields

5. Redid all the relationships. i had to delete the one from the fm-table before i could make one from the sql-table (unless i wanted loads of duplicate tables in the relationship window)

6. Went through all the calculations and scripts, and changed the table from the fm one to the sql one wherever necessary

This topic is 4755 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.