How do you get the value list for one field to change depending on the content of another field?

This topic is 4749 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a field for which I have 30 different (and distinct) value lists. I would like to have the drop-down menu for that field to display the value list I need depending on the value of another field.

So, for example, if the value of field A is "ABC", then I only want the value list associated with ABC to be in the drop-down menu for field B. If the value of field A is "DEF", then I only want the value list associated with DEF to be in the drop-down menu for field B, etc., down the line for all 30 possible values of field A.

Can I do this in FMP?

FYI, I'm on a iMac G5 using 10.0v3, so please let me know if this is possible using this version of FMP... thanks!

Do a search in this forum for "Conditional Value lists" you should find your answer.

There is probably more than one way to achieve this

You can use a table for each value list. A new record in the table is a new value list item, in your case you would need 30 tables one for each value list.

Then create relationships for all possible values of your field A to the relevant table.

Hope this helps.

Vincent

Hi,

you can do that with self referenced tables in your value lists.

The trick is use the same id's in the references.

Make the structure and value list as shown in the screen shot.

Of-course add some other data fields, you can use this value list also in a portal record...

Screen.png

This topic is 4749 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.