Multiple copies in lending library

This topic is 4736 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a chorus teacher and I'm looking for a way to check out sheet music to my students. I may have 150 copies of a piece of music, all with the same barcode. How can I modify the lending library template to allow me to check out 1 copy to each student, and have the total number of copies available in the database decrease each time?

Thanks.

Without modifying the the template, if you duplicate the record for that piece of music 149 times, then your database will have one record per item. You could name each copy White Christmas 1, White Christmas 2, White Christmas 3 etc, or add another field to the assets table called 'copy number'

Not very elegant but a quick and easy way to do what you want.

To do it properly you should add a few fields and alter a couple of scripts. I'll post that if you want it.

• Newbies

Without modifying the the template, if you duplicate the record for that piece of music 149 times, then your database will have one record per item. You could name each copy White Christmas 1, White Christmas 2, White Christmas 3 etc, or add another field to the assets table called 'copy number'

Not very elegant but a quick and easy way to do what you want.

To do it properly you should add a few fields and alter a couple of scripts. I'll post that if you want it.

That would be great if you could post it. The problem with doing it the way you suggested is that I have several hundred pieces in my library. It would be a logistical nightmare! lol

thanks!

Probably requires some explanation;

Three new fields;

Copies held (you enter your number of copies in this field)

Copies on loan (calculates by counting how many copies of this item are out on loan)

Copies available (calculates by the first field minus the second field)

'Check out' and 'check in' scripts were modified to account for multiple versions.

Extra rows were added to the portal so you can see the first 20 out on loan. Considering your numbers you'll probably want to add a few more so you don't get dizzy scrolling.

Status calc field was changed to allow for more copies too.

This topic is 4736 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.