How to modify db on FMS

This topic is 4677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What is the best solution to modify a db hosted on FileMaker Sever?

This would be done after hours so no users would be connected.

Can you modify the database from a connected work station?

Should you pull the database off the server, make the changes and then upload it back?

Should you have a copy of FileMaker Pro/Advanced on the server and work directly at the server?

We have external backups of our databases which I could work on then upload back to the server if needed.

Just not sure what can and cannot be done to modify the hosted db.

Thank you,

Michell Logan

This is a common question. Working on a production database while hosted is ill-advised. If your connection to the host breaks while you're in the relationship graph, you could damage the file. So, unhost, open, make changes and re-host. Or, as you say, work directly on the server with a copy of FMA (if hosted, use Open Remote).

That being said, I've worked on clients hosted solutions (while they're in there too) many times and never had a problem. Big structural changes that essentially would leave them with unstable functionality are done in a copy, and then we take down live, import data to new version and rehost.

Thank you for the fast reply.

I was not sure of the correct terms, but in the back of my mind I assumed that working remotely could cause some issues if the right circumstances presented themselves.

I think the best thing for us, since we are new is to work directly on the server.

Thank you,

Michelle

Working on a production database while hosted is ill-advised.

The "production" part is key, you do need to be careful about certain things. However, developing on a hosted solution actually has quite a few advantages, including that if the client crashes, it doesn't corrupt the hosted files.

Sorry I don't have time to go into more detail right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay been feeling bad.

Fitch, Do I understand your post correctly, that the best thing to do is work on the file from a remote machine and not directly at the server itself?

I can do this after everyone has logged off, that will not be a problem.

Thanks!

if the client crashes, it doesn't corrupt the hosted files.

I certainly would not bet the integrity of any of my client's files on that assumption.

And Ms. Logan, your better bet--not best bet--would be to do the work on a machine other than the server. Running server and Pro on the same machine at the same time is not a good idea. If you have physical access to the server, you could close the files, stop FileMaker Server, and then open the files in FileMaker Pro if that application is also installed.

Steven

No need to bet on file integrity, just keep good backups.

FileMaker is designed so that multiple developers can modify a hosted file. As I mentioned, if it's a production file, as opposed to a file with "fake" data that is used for development, you have to be careful, but if all users are off-line it should not be a problem at all.

Michelle, it's perfectly fine to work from a client machine. I recommend you launch the server admin tool first (which you can also do from a client machine), select a backup schedule and run it before you start.

This topic is 4677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.