Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Database on Web

This topic is 8438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am fairly new to filemaker. Am currently using version 5. I am working for an insurance claims business and setting up claims processing using the program. The BOSS has now given me the task to send new claims to field adjusters using a database on a Web Domain Server we will rent from an Internet vendor. I have read some other posts on this site and think that I will need to look in Web Database Publishing but am otherwise lost. First question? Is the web database publishing the correct approach? If it is, what do I need with respect to reading references or additional software. At present we have only the Filemaker Pro vs 5.

Thanks in advance.

H. Hill

Filemaker has the ability to email your claim as an email to your adjusters? Would that be sufficient or do you need to have the ability for the adjuster to update the database record once he makes the call?

If its the first, then emailing the data in an email seems sufficient, otherwise, I would suggest publishing the database online so that the adjuster can then update the record once he reviews the claim? I am a newbie on this too so I understand your situation.

If you have a static IP Address, and a higher speed connection, you could possibly set up your own FMP web site right in your business. You need a static IP Address (get that from your internet service provider, an open port to your Modem (Dsl, cable, T1)- and then you can do instant web publishing that way. Your adjuster will go to the IP Address you have and then can access the database. This is public so you'd want to assign a good password to keep the public out, but this would then allow the adjuster to look for his adjuster jobs, print them out, then fill out the data he needs to report back to you via the same method, saving the data right back into your database.

Good Luck

------------------

David Roth

Gulfshore Media, Inc

Very good answer there.

If you do need to custom web publish, then you will need to know html (or a good html editing program which you thoroughly understand) and you will need to learn how to intergrate cdml into your html at a minimum.

You will find that JavaScript has its uses, so you may want to learn as much as you can about JavaScript.

Peace

Keith M. Davie

i just wanted to add something to Kieth's message, if you are going to use an HTML editing program instead of writing the code yourself. I would not recomend Frontpage. I ussually write all my code by hand, but i tried Frontpage once and it totally screwed up all my CDML tags. (FrontPage tends to remove things it does not understand)

At least that has been my experience.

This topic is 8438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.