Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Managing Crashed Users

This topic is 4659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a number of users here that use IWP on handheld scanners while working. Occasionally, a scanner battery will run out or the scanner will, for whatever reason, shut off or crash. The user will then go plug in the handheld and grab another scanner to continue working.

The problem is that the scanners will crash so suddenly that there is no message to the server to disconnect them. When they return to their last record to continue work, the record is locked by them (from the crashed scanner). In order to fix this, they currently need to come to me so that I can manually disconnect this phantom client from the server.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a better way of handling these crashed clients, or if I can reduce the time between FM Server's checks to see if a client is still connected.

Thanks.

To the server a disconnected user is the same as an inactive user. By default, it takes about 15 minutes for Server to then disconnect them. You can reduce this timeout in the settings, but note that it also applies to any user that doesn't do anything for a while.

So you might reduce it to 5 minutes, but if it's 5 minutes between scans, then a user might be disconnected while actually working...

Alternatively, you could write a little custom password protected web page that can run the command line disconnect for a given user remotely, so people wouldn't need to come to you.

This topic is 4659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.