The cloud? A Solution and a question?

This topic is 4655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure whether this is the place to post this, but here goes.

I have written a solution for my sole trader business. I would like to be able to access it when on the road from my ipad, iphone and laptop but without having to keep all or any in sync, as such.

I tried dropbox and the whole thing nearly fell apart when I couldn't work out which was syncing and who was on first.

No I'm musing that maybe if I uploaded the solution to "the cloud" I could access and add data in a browser type solution from where ever I happen to be...........

Can this be done? How so?

cheers

You can launch Filemaker database that is located on a clout server, but performance and reliability may be an issue. Filemaker saves data each time you exit a field so there needs to be continuous fast connection. There will be a problem if you try to connect to the file from more than one client, or leave one open by mistake.

Another option that I've used on MobileMe is to access databases locally, but I wrote a "Sync" script that that the user can run to update the local data. The script import data from the file on the Cloud server, resolves conflicts, and updates the file on the cloud. Its was a bit of work to setup, but its more reliable than trying to connect to the file directly on MobileMe.

Finally, you can setup your own server and have it host file over the internet if you have a high speed connection. You need to be careful about the security setup, but it generally works fine.

"Cloud" services are appearing in many guises - what you need is the ability to open the file(s) DIRECTLY. Dropbox (and many others) are web based storage points - they do not support file sharing protocols that you find in desktop and server operating systems, and that is what is required if you intend to access the file(s) as a DISK based presence. Many of these are called Virtual Private Servers.

By far, the better solution is to have your file hosted through a FileMaker hosting service. This will present your data file as a FileMaker file on the internet to FileMaker Pro/Go, without any of the sync, backup or security problems faced by other means. Try googling "filemaker hosting"

It depends how you value "expensive". You can host your own DBs at home/office, but you will likely need a fixed IP address and set up your router to allow FM traffic from outside, another copy of FMP to host and a machine. Performance will be governed by the upload bandwidth available on your home/office line, but as a sole trader you're not going to create a lot of traffic.

Have a look at our services:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

Our FileMaker Basic account includes 2 hosted databases and runs $29/month (discounts for multiple month payments available as well).

You save the cost of server hardware, FileMaker Server Advanced, operating system licenses, software updates, employee(s) to monitor your server, etc. You can also fully deduct the service as an expense vs. having to depreciate hardware/software.

We have been providing professional filemaker hosting services for over 12 years, and specialize in such. Please let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com. Thanks!

- John May

This topic is 4655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.