Determine best way to select Category - Sub category based on layout

imoree

This topic is 4585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Everyone;

I am on my third attempt at a user interface design which i think would work

better for my current project. However, i am unsure if i should use a portal to show the

sub category or should i just show / hide repeating fields . I have attached my sample file (proof of concept)

to see if i am on the right track and how i should go about doing this.

The top of the file when selected will show / hide the subcat( cakes, pullaparts, suites) options below and then

the tab object will be selected based on a script.

Options i would like to do are possibly;

• portal
  • conditional formatting

i hope this is clear but you will see the issue in the file

UNsure.fp7.zip

I would personally not use repeating fields - it's generally better to use related records.

What you require could be done easily with a portal - used horizontally - of related records so that you have a similar layout to that you show in your file.

Regarding the other part of your question

The top of the file when selected will show / hide the subcat( cakes, pullaparts, suites) options below and then the tab object will be selected based on a script.

seems to me to be a very fussy way of doing this because you have a repetition of headings on your main menu and on the tab object "under" your sub-menu - or perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish...

issue is i would like to limit users' options based on their selection.

This layout is a gathering script from invoices in order to generate a complete(d) order.

So if they choose cakes they get some options for selecting criteria, pullaparts ( another table occurence with different options,etc)

when they complete that information, i will send them back to the Orders Table.

Portals for this just doesnt make sense to me as it is really 1 cake to many attributes

And the 3 options to select attributes are only

cakes, pull aparts, suites.

HOw would portals solved this as i really dont want a related table(s) data or do I?

I am rambling on.

hope that helps you understand what i am trying to accomplish.

Comment ? !! _ HELP!! SOMEONE!!

ok , i changed my design to have

2 portals. 1 is a selection portal for choosing the Main Orders Section - Cakes, Pull Aparts, Suites,& multi predicated sorts 3 t

able occurences - portal_cakes, portal_pullaparts, portal_suites.

only thing now is to figure out how to connect everything.

I am still trying to figure that extend out as well. Looks fun to do, but i just cant get it.? HMMHMM

"issue is i would like to limit users' options based on their selection."

Why not just use conditional value lists attached to pop-ups for User selection?

The Main type, whether Cake, Pullapart or Suite would be field in product table and, based upon the selection in your parent record, the second pop-up would display only that Main Type's Attributes for further selection.

And then again, maybe I'm not understanding this at all. Nowhere do I really read about the purpose of this specific layout design and I, like efen, don't understand the top. Please describe what the User is attempting to accomplish on this layout. Is the User creating Product records or are they there only to select a product and its attributes or ? :wink3:

#1 the user is placing an order - [customer -orders-lines-products table]

#2 if user selects CAKES [portalnow] based on portal row # - will go to related record in anoterh portal

#3 in that portal user will select "UNIQUE" attributes for that product

#4 after placing all orders a payments table will be added to setup payments ,etc

#5 at end of day, reports will be run to close out daily sales and inventory adjustment,etc

Hope that makes sense.

Takes a while to actually get everything setup the way you want based on such limited knowledge currently.

-i

#1 the user is placing an order - [customer -orders-lines-products table]

Why are Users not creating the OrderLines from the Order right within the portal?

#2 if user selects CAKES [portalnow] based on portal row # - will go to related record in anoterh portal

User, when adding an OrderLine, should select field called ProductType in OrderLines which holds value list of product types or a Custom value list of types.

#3 in that portal user will select "UNIQUE" attributes for that product

Then after User specifies Product Type, the next field called Attribute would 'conditionally' display only those related to the Product Type.

There are some great demos on this site; search for "Conditional Value List". Particularly, search for *condVL* files by Comment if you can.

This topic is 4585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.