Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Selective User Access for Layout Sections

natursalus

This topic is 4510 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am in the design stage of my next project and need some advice about how to grant selective user access.

Let's say that I have Form A, based on Table A, that contains fields to be filled in by different people, based on their user access priviledges.

There are two coexisting scenarios:

• Form A divided in sections accessible as per granted user access priviledges. For example:

Section 1 can be filled in by all users.

Section 2 can be filled in by user with supervisory access level.

Section 3 can be filled in by user with managerial access level.

• Form A section accesible by users with different access priviledges. For example:

Section 2 which is accesible only by users with supervisory access level, could also have a Manager Approval field only for users with managerial access level.

Concerning Scenario 1, the only way that I can think of assigning selective user access for Table A fields is to split it into 3 layouts, one for each user access level. But I don't know if later on I will run into trouble when trying to put together a report for all the Sections and fields of Form A ( table A).

Is there a better way to do it?

In relation to Scenario 2, I don't know of any way to grant different user access levels on the same layout.

Any ideas about how can I do it?

Thanks

Take a look at the Record Level Access and to some degree the Field Level Access options in the Manage Security section of the file. What you want to do probably can occur; it will take a bit of work. All information could appear on the same layout.

Steven

Hello Steven,

Thank you for your feedback.

I guess I am missing something. If I got it right, user access is controled by: File -> Manage -> Security:

1. Privilege Sets
  2. Accounts

As I understood it, FM Edit Privilege Set allows the control of Field access for ALL the fields in a particular Table, but doesn't allow you to pick wich fields of a table are accesable and by whom.

So you must be referring to something else that I haven't got it right yet.

Thanks

You can restrict access field by field.

Edit Privilege set->Records->Custom Privileges

Field Access->Limited...

and then assign privileges (no access, view only, or modifiable) to each field.

dougheim,

I see how I can assigned General privileges (no access, view only, or modifiable) to each Table's field

Still, it remains how I selectably assign field access to specific users.

But it is clear that in the end I will have to assign some script to each field whose access I want to control.

Thanks

Still, it remains how I selectably assign field access to specific users.

Each user account can be assigned its own privilege set. For example, if Harvey Wallbanger is employee # 1234, you can assign him account 1234, with its own password. Then, if Harvey has need for an access level unique to him, you can create a privilege set "1234" which is tailored to that need and attach it to his account. On the other hand, if Harvey is a salesman, and has the same access needs (and/or limitations) as all the other salesmen, you can create a privilege set named "salesmen" and assign it to every salesman's account.

But it is clear that in the end I will have to assign some script to each field whose access I want to control.

No, not at all. It can all be done with accounts and privileges. Let's say the day comes that Harvey gets fired. All you have to do is delete his account. If you tried to set access with scripts, there might be dozens of scripts that would need to be changed, and odds are one would get missed. Ditto with a new employee.

No, and it wouldn't work even if you did. In the area where you set privileges for a Privilege Set, click on the Popup next to the Records label. Then look at the options in the far right hand column for Fields.

Perhaps these videos might help you:

http://www.vtc.com/p...y-tutorials.htm

Kindly overlook the author's many eccentricities.

Steven

Taking it one step further, you can use Get(PrivilegeSetName) in a conditional format calc to change the text color of the fields to gray to make it clear to the user that the field isn't modifiable by her.

Hello Steven,

Thanks for your comments and the tip about your videos on FM Security. I must say that I have previewed the free videos and took a look at the contents of the whole series. Very well explained and the depth of the contents is impressive.

A lot of learning ahead for me.., but very interesting.

Since FM 12 will be released soon, maybe by this year's end.., are you planning to produce a new updated tutorial?

Thanks

Hello doughemi,

You keep pouring interesting possibilities that for sure I will incorporate in my project.

Thanks for you generosity

• 3 months later...

Looks like FM Inc isn't in a hurry for releasing FM 12

Who knows. One thing we know for sure is that we're 3 months closer to it's release, then when Steven made his reply.

If FileMaker follows its usual pattern of releasing upgrades, it would be about 1 1/2 to 2 year from the release of 11. You can do the math on that one. They also like to release upgrades around Devcon, so that could You be there planned release date.

Personally, I'm in no rush to spend more money.

Lee

This topic is 4510 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.