Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to create multiple batch of runtimes?

_henry_

This topic is 4606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear all,

I would like to know if FileMaker Pro Advanced in "Developer Utilities" capable of creating multiple batch of runtimes?

For example:

I have a FileMaker solution let say: Finance.fp7

Here is the conditions:

1. Currently, I don't host FMP Server, so I need to create an individual runtime for every user. It's because in certain areas, I have a very limited usage of internet connectivity around users.

2. Runtime that was created from Finance.fp7 would contain a different information because it will be distributed to different persons / entities.

So, what I'm doing currently is:

1. I created a master of Finance.fp7

2. Then, I do a query on certain data for a certain user and use "Save As A copy" so that I will create a new FP7 let say "Finance_A_Dept.fp7","Finance_B_Dept.fp7", etc

3. I tried to compile it to exe using Developer Utilities.

4. As far as I know, if I insert all two files, it would behave one as primary file and the other as supported?

What I would like to achieve is seeing "Finance_A_Dept.exe" and "Finance_B_Dept.exe"

Can it be done in one time process of creating a batch runtime in Developer Utilities menu?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Dear all,

I would like to know if FileMaker Pro Advanced in "Developer Utilities" capable of creating multiple batch of runtimes?

For example:

I have a FileMaker solution let say: Finance.fp7

Here is the conditions:

1. Currently, I don't host FMP Server, so I need to create an individual runtime for every user. It's because in certain areas, I have a very limited usage of internet connectivity around users.

2. Runtime that was created from Finance.fp7 would contain a different information because it will be distributed to different persons / entities.

So, what I'm doing currently is:

2. Then, I do a query on certain data for a certain user and use "Save As A copy" so that I will create a new FP7 let say "Finance_A_Dept.fp7","Finance_B_Dept.fp7", etc

3. I tried to compile it to exe using Developer Utilities.

4. As far as I know, if I insert all two files, it would behave one as primary file and the other as supported?

What I would like to achieve is seeing "Finance_A_Dept.exe" and "Finance_B_Dept.exe"

Can it be done in one time process of creating a batch runtime in Developer Utilities menu?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Take your original file with all of the data and make a runtime.

Then take that runtime folder and duplicate it as many times as you need.

If your original file was Finance.fp7, the runtime database file will be Finance.usr.

Using the full version of FileMaker, open the database file, Finance.usr for each runtime. Find the information you need. Then show Omitted records and delete the records you do not need.

Re-lable the runtime folder with for that applicable person in each case.

Your alternative to the above scenario comes from my Way Back machine.

Have a hub file and all of your ancillary files (One for each user, each with different names) with the correct data in each. Make the hub the primary file, probably by having it first in the list of files to be bound. Bind all the files to the engine.

When you bind a pile of files using the developer utility, one of them becomes the prime file bound to the runtime engine. It has to be present for the solution to work. This was standard in versions prior to FMP 7 and probably holds true now. I am guessing that making the hub the first in the list would make it primary, but I have not bound multiple files for ever.

Have the program open the hub and have some form of navigation to the correct file. Automated it would probably work something like, if account is Finance A, open file FinanceA.usr, then hide hub.

Then ship the runtime with the hub and proper associated file to each user.

I am not sure if it would work, but if it will not, you are back to my first suggestion.

HTH

Dave

HI David,

Thank you for your information. Well, I think there's no easy way doing this. (I think Automation is the answer :))

What I've been doing is:

2. I have 2 scripts:

a. Script A: would create a "save as a copy" for that same file, however, I have a unique filenaming of FileMaker let say "Finance_A.fp7" would show all information on "Finance_A" department, "Finance_B.fp7" would show "Finance_B" information later. But for first time, when I save as a copy, Finance_A.fp7 and Finance_B.fp7 would contain same information.

b. Script B would be run on a when I open the filemaker. (open file script.). This would perform automatically on quering the right information on certain file. For example: "Finance_A.fp7"

When I open "Finance_A.fp7", the script would find only information based on "Finance_A" only and remove all others information. Then, after doing that, it will quit. I will do opening manually for the rest of fp7 files.

3. Now, I have all fp7 with correct information. But it would be all in fp7

4. Then, I have to manually use "Developer Utilities" for each fp7 files.

On step 4, can I do it automatically like copying all unique fp7 files and convert it directly to executable using Developer Utilities, or I should do it manually?

---

If your suggestion to create one master executable file first then, after that copy that folder then execute the scripts above, and rename it appropriately?

So in here, if I understand you correctly:

1. Create master Finance.fp7

2. Create Finance.exe by using Developer utilities

3. Copy folder of Finance to let say "Finance_A" folder and "Finance_B" folder

4. Rename the file to "Finance_A" and "Finance_B" to query exact information and delete the unnecessary information

5. done.

Is that correct?

Thank you.

1. If you are going to rename files, use the developer's tool to do it. Don't just save and rename.

2. If you are using a master copy, again leave the file names alone. Let the file stay Finance.usr. Rename the application folders so you know where each one goes to.

Really, these people do not care what the program is named, all they care about is that it has the applicable data and that they can find it. Separate names for the application folders will accomplish this.

HTH

Dave

This topic is 4606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.