Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrading Runtime Versions

MDownes

This topic is 4572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm creating a runtime solution on a Mac but want to be able to send out upgrades in the future, and to non-tech type people (in other words, this needs to be pretty simple on their end). The direction I'm currently going in is to run an external script in the old version (from the upgrade) to export each table to a specific file in the old version's folder (which I have instructed the user to place on the desktop, with the upgrade), then to import using the script in the upgrade.

Is this the best way to proceed? Does anyone have a better suggestion? I'm encountering a couple of problems already with this:

1. global fields cannot be imported as globals

2. container fields cannot be imported this way (and my solution is filled with 'em!)

3. It really relies on the user getting everything right (both the old and new versions on the desktop, following the directions to use the proper script, etc.) -- again, this is designed for very low-tech type folks, and my fear is that there's too much room for user error.

Is there any way to deal with these issues? I don't have the money (or technical know-how really) to invest in packaging everything together into an installer (i.e., VISE or the like).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

--Myles

Taking your points:

1. Global fields. The upgrade file should already have the global fields populated, preferably in a "master" table that is not part of the import procedure.

2. Container fields. You must use the native import method to bring containers across. Forget exporting to separate files and then importing to the new upgrade, you must import DIRECT from the users file.

3. File placement - tricky!

This topic is 4572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.