Server Maintenance This Week. ×

3 Scripts, 2 Printers

Doug L

This topic is 8478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I have a rather simple problem I hope.

I'm running 3.0v6 clients with the FMP (NT) server version.

With the push of one button I would like to send one layout to a regular 8-1/2 x 11 printed page and a second layout to a labels only printer (roll labels).

I've tried embedding two scripts inside a main script but the problem is everything goes to either one or the other printer, not both.

Of course I've run the print jobs manually and then replaced the print setups but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

One more thing; We will be running this script often so I don't want the user to have to mess with the print dialog box everytime he prints. Just one button push to fire the whole thing off would be ideal.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Doug L.

• 3 weeks later...

I read this post a while ago and didn't have an answer because I assumed that you were running everything on windows. Rereading it, I see that the server is on windows, but you don't specify what your clients are. On the off chance that the client machines are Macs, you can use applescript to switch printers. If you are using windows I can't help.

Depending on the platform you are developing for (Mac - Window or Both), You may need to do a test for the platform triggering the script. But, you can use the Page Setup step (on Mac) and the Printer Setup script (on Windows) to set the printer and format of the output before printing. By set the restore, and no dialog options you can eliminate user intervention. In order to be able to use multiple formats in a single script, create an individual script for each printer/page setup change, and then call these script as needed in your main print script.

HTH

• Newbies

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer the first question; it's a 100% PC system. Not a Mac within miles, never has been, never will be.

As to the second suggestion, I tried the script within a script method that you spoke of. No luck. It always uses the same printer. Print setup only seems to concern itself with the landscape vs portrait, and the current record vs records being browsed settings - nothing else.

I gave up on trying to solve this one. I had to settle for two different scripts that pause for the user to select printers.

Thanks,

Doug L.

Create separate scripts for the different Print setups. If you have both print setups in the same script, they will assume the same setup. In your main script just call the subscript to set the printer setup.

This should work with v3 and v4, but for some reason, it won't work in version 5.

This topic is 8478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.