Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Login User Name

Dr.L

This topic is 4564 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Truly there is a simple answer for this, but it is frustrating me trying to figure it out...

How can I have each user who logs in on their individual computer have their name automatically show up in the user name field so they can enter their password. My name keeps showing up as I have registered each seat. I am using 5 seats and FM11 from our server...

Much thanks!

Dr.L

Dr. L,

Think about it -- how does FM know who you are prior to login? Perhaps that's not what you're asking. Perhaps you're really looking for techniques that use a User table. Even with one, the credential challenge happens prior to your ability to script anything.

Also, if a workstation is shared, you should be extra careful that a user logs out (given the RLA rules are important). In fact, if this is a medical system, you have lots of HIPAA rules to follow.

hth,

Barbara

I was going to ask if you considered external authentication but then this caught my eye ...

I am using 5 seats and FM11 from our server...

May I ask how this is being served?

But, isn't there a way for their names to popular as they log in? Some computers are used by multiple folks...

Dr.L~

Yes. on Windows OS, on initial installation, if you choose the option to install for any user of the computer. Then when a user first connects with an unique Account, the user can enter the appropriate user name. However, as I noted earlier, you'd be better off requiring the user to enter the Account name on log-in.

Steven

This topic is 4564 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.