Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Stopping an errant server side script

This topic is 4039 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We scheduled a server side script to run on our FMP 11 Server Advanced (running on Windows Server 2003) and forgot to set a time limit for it. Doh!

The script has now been running for more that 36 hours, so we guess it must be looping or something. Unfortunately it is proprietory Filemaker code from a third party, so we have no access to the script to determine the problem.

We can't stop the script because the server is the current user and won't log off. The server is a production system so we can't just stop it and start again. There seems to be nothing in the Admin Console that helps with this situation, and nothing in the Documentation or Help files about how to stop this script.

I've seen a suggestion that we need to kill off a process on the server in order to stop the script running. We can't find an obvious process and anyway, we are not sure that killing an active process on the server is a good idea.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Steven

I selected the server's client connection right-clicked and selected 'disconnect' A dialog box was presented to allow me to send a message to tell the 'server' client that it would be disconnected in 2 minutes. I left this blank and clicked OK.

8 hours later the script is still running. I checked the server log file - this reports the request to disconnect, then two minutes later that the disconnection was successful. Not apparently so.

(Yes, after I found the script wouldn't stop, I also found the place to set a maximum time for the script to run. Doh!)

Can you suggest anything else?

Thanks

Brian

• 1 year later...

Hmm, this is how I did this in FM 11 SA:

Not sure if it’s best practice, or that I’m just doing a symptom relief

1) Copy Schedule

2) Delete old Schedule

3) Re-enable new Schedule

You can also follow few steps to stop the scheduler-

1) Ask all clients to close their application and stop accessing server files.

2) STOP the FM server and exit the FMS application

3) Open FMS application and start the server

4) Go to FMS -> Schedules and select the scheduler

5) Right click and select option - Disable Selected Schedules

This can help you to stop running the scheduler currently and in future. If you do not want to keep the scheduler you can select option - Delete Selected Schedules.

Hope this can help you.

This topic is 4039 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.