Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Editing a record with URL

John.M

This topic is 4496 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm new to the web end of FM and am trying to edit a record using a similar URL below:

"http://192.168.123.101/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?–db=employees&–lay=departments&–recid=13&Country=USA&–edit"

The documentation seems a bit sparce on the details and my questions are

1. Is the "-recid" the internal FM record ID or is that one that is user defined?

2. If it's the internal ID, does there need to be a find performed first to capture the internal ID, then do the edit step or is there a way to accomplish this in one URL? What does the URL look like if you can use a user defined field?

3. Are there some good examples somewhere to look at?

Thanks,

John

John,

1. Yes the -recid is the internal FM record ID returned with any -find, -findall etc

2. Unless you have another way to know it :laugh2: yes a find first to capture then -edit, as the manual says "one query command" per request

3. The manual, is about all I can find for examples.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

In the scenario I'm working on, I would know the record ID (not the internal) because it's being stored in another system and I want that system to update a status field in Filemaker. The part I wasn't sure of is when the WPE is processing the URL, if the record ID (user defined) was passed it would find that record and update it all within the one call. That's how I was interpreting what was in the manual, but wasn't sure how to pass a user defined ID.

Looks like I'm back to two calls.

Thanks,

John

This topic is 4496 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.