Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need SQL advice

This topic is 4469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm hoping someone may have some insight into this. I'm putting together a complex app and I use SQL heavily using the Dracoventions SQL Runner plugin. Every now and then I notice that an SQL statement pauses for a time and then displays a message stating that there is a record locked (usually when I have multiple windows open). Does anyone know the rules regarding SQL operation with record locking? Specifically, if I'm just retrieveing data through a SELECT statement and one of the records in the target set is in use by another user, will that trigger the SQL pause? I can understand it if I'm doing an UPDATE or DELETE but would the SELECT still pull the data from a record in use?

I suppose there are ways of testing whether a record is locked in advance but the whole idea is to operate without having to get context sensitive. I need the confidence that a data set pulled is complete and/or don't want the big pauses and the exception thrown to the user. I know I can set the command to wait for idle time but that just throws in another unknown operational outcome.

Thanks for any information,

Bill O'Keefe

Frenel Solutions

As far as I can tell, the ODBC and JDBC Guide also applies to SQL as accessed via plug-in. You can find this guide here: http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fmp/fm11_odbc_jdbc_guide_en.pdf

I don't know if your answer is in there, but that's the only place I'd know to look.

This topic is 4469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.