Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Troi Serial plug-in

This topic is 8443 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've used the Troi serial plug-in's to talk to proprietary bar code printer. The problem could be a LOT of things. First is the correct configuration of the serial cable (data in and out, hardware handshake signals, etc.). Second, is the configuration of baud rate and any software handshake. The last element is the correct scripting of commands to the plug-in. I find the language a little arcane, but you get used to it.

How are you monitoring if it "works" with the sample files? To really tell, you need some simple serial device (I use another computer running a terminal emulator program) to simulate talking across the interface. I would also be helpful to know what type of computer you are using (you used a Mac icon) and what port.

-bd

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply bd.

First is the correct configuration of the serial cable (data in and out, hardware handshake signals, etc.)-------- I am using a Mac 8500 with a Supra Express 56e modem(no hardware handshake) and the Caller ID.fm3 file which came with the serial plug-in to test it.

Second, is the configuration of baud rate and any software handshake.--------Baud is 28800, databits = 8, stop =10 and parity = none,init string = AT&K4&D2VE

The last element is the correct scripting of commands to the plug-in. I find the language a little arcane, but you get used to it.-------------While I do not at the moment understand the Dispatch scripts and why they work, obviously if they are written by Troi they SHOULD work, shouldn't they? What happens is that when the phone rings, the caller ID file flashes to the front with each ring but no actual phone number data is received - ie no new record is created in Filemaker. I have 10 years experience with Filemaker but nil experience with modems etc!!

I would think that this points to the callerID information not being correctly encoded or being in a state which Filemaker does not recognise.

TIA for your help

Rod

Good. Most of your configuration is very standard. Standard device (modem) and cable. Make sure you are using the correct plug-in (the version I used has a Serial A plug-in for the Modem port and a Serial B plug-in for the Printer port). Each plug-in requires different script calls. Many modem commands are standard. I don't know if this is the case for number calling. Could the Troi number calling routine be written for a different modem with different commands and responses?

You really have to approaches to try. First is to call Troi and see if they can help you with why their canned approach won't work. I don't know if there are variations in modem setup which could affect operation. The second is to start with the basics and build a method from the ground up. The first step would be to successfully set up the serial port and send an "ATA" or "ATDT" type command, get a correct response (dialing tones or flashing lights) and receive the "OK" message back from the modem.

This is why first time I wrote for a serial plug-in (and when I have an interesting problem), I use an old Mac Plus running Red Ryder or MacTerminal so I can look at the screen and see what was sent (or not sent) and type on the keyboard to simulate a device response. In debugging any serial link, the key is to start small and get the basic send and receive operations to work first.

-bd

This topic is 8443 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.