Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Navigation Menu

angbrav

This topic is 4460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi! This is my first post, I'll try not to bother u with stupid questions! (I hope this is the place for this question)

I m developing my very first FM application! It s going quite slow but I m making some progress. My question is the following:

I m hiding status bar so I have no way to navigate between layers. Therefore, I m decided to create my own navigator menu (kind of custom menu).

1) I would like to make it dynamic (just in case I need to add a new layer). For this purpose, I m quite sure I have to create my menu using the DB, so that, I'd be able to modify the menu by adding a new record in my table. (Please, correct me If I am wrong).

2) I'm trying to make a two levels menu. I have no idea how to solve this problem. For instance:

Initial state...

Menu 1

Menu 2

Menu 3

After clicking Menu 2...

Menu 1

Menu 2

Submenu 1

Submenu 2

Menu 3

I know it's possible because I saw it in one FM app.

3) Do I need to copy the menu to all the layers or I could create the menu in a specific part of the layer (such as head) and it will automatically copied to all the layers. I know this is not the default behavior, but I expect that perhaps there is a way to do it!

Of course I'm not expecting to get how to implement all this stuff. I just need to know if I'm right in what I'm thinking. (Hints are more than welcome)

Thats all! I know it is a huge question. Thank u in advance.

This might help:

http://www.teamdf.com/weetbicks/build-a-navigation-system-part-one--starting-out-simple/37/

http://www.teamdf.com/weetbicks/build-a-navigation-system-part-two-taking-it-further/80/

Excellent, and welcome to the Forums!

(By the way, when you said "layer" I think you meant "layout" -- it really helps people respond to your questions when we all use standard FileMaker terminology.)

This topic is 4460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.