Server Maintenance This Week. ×

DDR Overview Edition ... is it feasible?

K1200

This topic is 4455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

As a developer, I keep a copy of my latest DDR handy as a reference. More often than not, however, I'm just looking to confirm data type or which other fields are in a particular table (there are over 100 tables in my main application).

What I really need is a DDR Overview Edition ... and looking at the raw XML, it doesn't seem all that unrealistic to obtain. But I admit, XML is at the far end of the room when it comes to my personal knowledge. I've implemented a couple of XML style sheets, but that's it.

Can someone explain what would be involved in modifying FMP's DDR file to produce an abbreviated version? Or is there a configurable XML reader, similar to some of the advanced source code editors? I've attached a mock up of the level of detail I'd like to see ... mainly one-line-per-field ... and with only four or five items, like data type and field comment.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

post-81548-0-02160500-1329704878_thumb.p

@ all: thanks for the responses.

Yes, I'm fairly familiar with both of those, having run trial versions about a year ago. If I needed a big gun tool, I'd definitely go with Base Elements ... from my own evaluation and for some of the reasons cited.

But what I need here is a BB gun.

So, thanks ... but my original inquiry still stands: Is it feasible to adapt/modify/interpret the DDR to produce the simple table?

Edit: Poking around, I found the Print button on the bottom of the Manage Database screen. It's not a button I've ever used ... or even noticed. But it does produce a basic field-level listing ... for individual tables. I'll see if I can't route the text into a file and do some reformatting.

I'll post my results.

Edited by K1200

You want fields BB gun … okay … create DDR but deselect every checkbox. Specify as XML.

Then in an Excel spreadsheet, select Data > Import External Data and find the detail xml (not the summary) and insert into Cell 1. Before Base Elements, I used to import into FM so it was searchable and I could track and compare field-name changes by two versions not equaling two lines related, LOL.

By unchecking all the boxes, the results are just the fields. If you scroll to the right you will find some interesting information as well. I am sure there are other BB gun approaches also just to get the field data.

This topic is 4455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.