Script to show all entries beginning with a particular letter

This topic is 4406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to write a script that will show all records that begin with ''a', all that begin with 'b', all that begin with 'c' etc. Each letter of the alphabet would have its own separate script (or all of them combined into one, if possible)

This searches cell 'Name' of every record for instances where the leading character is 'A' or 'a':

Sort [Restore,No dialog]

Show All Records

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Allow User Abort [On]

Loop

if ["Left(Name,1)="A""]

#Show this record The problem is here, I am looping through each record, and it determines the appropriate records alright, but how do I get it to display all of those records and only those records.

End If

Go to Record/Request/Page [Exit after last,Next]

End Loop

Go to Layout ["Table"]

If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it. I know my way around FileMaker, but I am hardly accomplished. Most of my scripts rely heavily on my knowledge of AppleScript, to give you an idea. I am using FileMaker 6 on MacOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

• Newbies

I have no idea how I could use Perform Find to show all of the records I want to display. I can see how I could use it to show all records that contain the letter a (in any position), but I want to display all records where the text in the cell I named "Name" begins with the letter 'a' or the letter 'b' etc.

How would I go about that, given that I am using FM6 ?

perform find - enter the letter a, b or whatever into the criteria field and the script will just find records starting with that letter. no looping needed

This topic is 4406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.