Server Maintenance This Week. ×

web publishing help for a novice

This topic is 8035 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok, first of all a disclaimer. I have only a average knowledge of computers, but I can figure out pretty much anything. I have recently taught myself filemaker pro. I have my database done and need it published it on the web. I have all the groups and passwords and restrictions set up, but I can only access my database from the web when it is open on my other computer. How do I make is accessible without having the database already open? (I hope I made myself clear)

Kristi

It wasn't a stupid question, but it does indicate a lack of understanding of how the whole FMP web sharing thing works.

Basically, FMP's Web Companion becomes the web server software. It acts as an interface between the web pages (with CDML commands on them) and the database. (Because of this, you cannot use any old web hosting service, it's got to specifically be a FMP host.)

Web Companion performs the CDML instructions that "remote-control" .There are CDML instructions to perform finds, sorts, add, edit and delete records and so on. Learning how to do cool things involves learning the CDML codes, aand learning how to go about structuring whaat you want to do over a web interface. Understanding FMP is inportant, but things often need to be done differently over the web. The only real way to learn is through experience, though books and forums like this help.

• 11 months later...
  • Newbies

Sorry, this is a old discussion, but it is a hot topic for me.

I am a beginner of FM and Web publish. However, has a bit more experience in Dbase or Foxpro. I feel so excite to see the web publish function.

I can create a very simple database and create the default web publish.

Now, can I do modify the web default display, i.e. the Form view, search, New record.......

thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Custom is great. I use it. But instant has its place for a lot of users. The best way to modify the look of instant web publishing is to include a startup script that uses Toggle Status Area (Hide).

This will diable the built-in Instant Web Publishing interface. You then can create your own interface. In otherwords, add to your layout buttons for such items as new, delete, find, sort, ect. You can even add fields to your layout that show the record numbers (record 7 of 32) so you know what records you are on. You can add custom buttons for previous and next record so as to scroll thru records.

This can be very useful to design a custom look and still use Instant Web Publishing.

LR

This topic is 8035 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.